Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Mamores: Sgurr a' Mhaim (51), Am Bodach (99), Stob Coire a' Chairn (171) and An Gearanach (166)

Walk date: June 2003
My Munro #s: 4, 5, 6 and 7/284

The bagging of these Munros was part of the only Scottish Ramsoc weekend of my entire time in Nottingham. All I can really remember is that is was a very grand day out with some impressive cumulative ascent! The walk can be taken in either direction, which translates to having the moderately daunting rope-bridge at the beginning or the end. We opted for the latter and climbed from the start up to Sgurr a' Mhaim ("skor a vaim"), the highest point of the day at 1099m. From there I remember that despite the impressive ridge, the walking was relatively easy as we took in the other tops. Of course, the fact that the weather was fantastic could have been a factor on that count. I remember that by the time we were descending my legs were quite tired, which meant the rope-bridge required some concentration. Nevertheless, I'd prefer this way round as it's a fun end to the day. From here the the path drops down through the forest and back to the road. Depending on where exactly you left your transport, you now are either finished or you face a steady plod alongside the Water of Nevis. This is a satisfying day out for big walkers. My only regret is that all day long we could see Ben Nevis completely free of cloud and all the people that opted for that walk just took it for granted that you always got a view from the top. Having already been up the big fella 3 times and seen nothing but cloud I knew otherwise!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home