Friday, October 13, 2006

Spectacles are the new contacts

Spent a wonderful evening out last night.

Sonia was coming over, so I decided to put in my contacts in order to look nice for her, as you do. Anyway, within seconds of putting my right one in, it started stinging intensely. I had a quick go at getting it out again as I thought it might be in the wrong way round, but I couldn't shift it. Nevermind, I thought, I can still see and besides it'll come out later once my eye gets wet. I then set off shopping and picked up Sonia (all in the car).

As the pain had been getting worse, I had another go once I got back, but failed even using the aid of eye drops, so I started cooking as time was getting on. Most of the cooking was done just using the one eye, which is generally not a good sign. Just before the meal was cooked, I had another go, but by this time even touching the eye was becoming difficult.

We then sat and ate a nice meal, with myself now hardly able to open either eye. On finishing I had one final push, but just the one attempt left me sat on the edge of the bath, completely unable to open either eye for a good few minutes. It was then that the steady background thought of A&E shifted into the foreground.

The kind Sonia, preparing for an interview the next day, grabbed her notes and drove me to the hospital. I immediately got seen by the admissions nurse and taken into a room within A&E where I sat alone and mostly unable to open either eye for an hour before someone came round. I didn't mind the principle of waiting, but couldn't I have sat with Sonia in the main waiting room, where I could have had my music on, or just chatted? I did take a book along, but obviously that wasn't going to work. Anyway, gripe over. Nurse/Doctor-dude Graham came in and gave me a couple of drops of anaesthetic and asked me to have another go. I could barely touch it again, which he seemed impressed with, and promptly maxed up the anaesthetic. The pain was still quite something however, and I couldn't manage it. He then had a go with a cotton-ended stick as I held my eye open, and got it moving slightly, but that took quite a lot of teeth-gripping. With both eyes tightly clenched shut at this stage and the occasional expletive, he left me for a resting period coming back with a new idea; to use sterile paper as a lever between my eye and the lens and then to sucker it off. To spare you the details, this worked on the third attempt, after the advice of, 'You can scream, shout, swear, call me anything, but you have to keep this eye open', nice.

The upshot was that the lens had probably floated in the solution overnight, and so the eye-side had completely dried out. This meant that when I put it on, it was just like a suction pump to my eye. When it finally came off it took part of my cornea with it; I left the hospital with a classy eye bandage, I can't wear contacts for a week (like I ever want to again), I have to put in antibiotics four times a day for five days, and it feels like a cat with rabies has scratched its scraggy claws across my eyeball.

Still, at least my with my bloodshot, yellowed, antibiotic-oozing eye I looked good for Sonia.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You poor thing George.I do hope you get back to normal speedily.
How absolutely ghastly that experience must have been. Take care.

BTW...I'm an old pal of Rullsenberg's ...so I do kinda know you...a bit....well feels like it anyway!

13 October 2006 at 18:50  
Blogger Reidski said...

Don't know if you allow swearing over here George, but here goes... Fucking hell, that sounds mighty fucking mental. Hope you are okay and all that.
And some stunning pics you have here by the way! But have you ever come down these peaks in a scooter - I came down one of the highest peaks in south-east london (it's so got to be the equivalent of a munro - well, felt like it to me) in one and the end result was not pretty! Scooter = kids thing. Not a motorised thingy!

13 October 2006 at 20:46  
Blogger George said...

Excellent stuff Chrissie, welcome aboard!

The eye is mending ok. Just not sure when I'll be up for contacts again, if ever!

13 October 2006 at 20:46  
Blogger George said...

Fucking swearing? It's bollocks, innit? Yes, fear not; there is no comments policy here. Well, except no complete numpties. I once had a comment from 'snake-eyes' or some such, who had a lovely right-wingers page, advising me that only terrorist Imans get nice weather on walks and I never would for being an Infidel. Riiigggghht.

Interesting scooter story. My brother once tried to get me into skate-boarding. I sat on the bloody thing, rigidly holding onto it as it's shitty little plastic wheels turned faster and faster as I trundled down some country lane an inch off the floor. Fortunately, there was soft grass nearby, but i reckon in south-east London such was lacking somewhat?

13 October 2006 at 21:28  
Blogger Ashley Russell said...

Reading that made me cringe, i hate things with eyes but not sure why. It has kind of put me off ever getting contacts lol though i didn't have intentions of getting any anyway.

14 October 2006 at 14:02  
Blogger George said...

Yes, I am definately now of the opinion that contacts are well overrated!

15 October 2006 at 12:13  
Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

AAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!


I'm feeling right quesy after reading that. Sweet G, you have even more of my sympathies now!!

Big hugs and I hope Sonia appreciated your efforts to look good

;)

17 October 2006 at 08:46  
Blogger George said...

Cheers guys, things seem to be on the mend although it feels as if someone is continuously blowing lightly on my eye. I do wish they'd stop.

17 October 2006 at 18:17  
Blogger Rob said...

Ouch yarroooh Jesus!

One more reason why I will never even consider wearing contact lenses.

I get squeamish enough about putting eye drops in.

2 December 2006 at 01:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home