Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Aberdeen Baker Hughes 10K 2007

Well, after seven months away from running, I went to a physio with my once-broken toe, and he told me to stop being a big girl's blouse and get back on the treadmill. Thus began this year's training, which I obviously then found much harder than the years gone before. With a previous best of 39:36 and a desire to beat it, there were some tough gym sessions this season!
It all came down to this Sunday just passed at 09:30! Despite fine weather before and after, as we were stood waiting for the start, the skies opened and drenched all of us to the bone. The wind was up too. In short, it was a miserable experience, especially the first 4km when I was just cold and feeling sorry for myself! When I passed my support team of Sonia and her friend Caroline, I had a very strong urge to just stop and go home!
However, that would have meant that I didn't deserve my beer, so I pressed onwards and the tipping point of halfway was soon reached. My stopwatch had messed up again at the start so I had no idea of my actual time, but my times inbetween the markers were still pretty good, and then I passed the 5km mark at 19:35 meaning that a new time was still possible. Having mentally abandoned an improvement, I was suddenly back in contention. This made me grit my teeth and dig-in.
Nevertheless, my 6-7km mark was over four minutes and so more work was needed. I upped it and kept with it to the end, but there was not much in reserve! Needless to say, I was exceptionally glad to turn the last corner and see the timer still below my previous year. I ended up crossing the line at 39:30 just bettering by PB by six seconds, but I'll take it! Curiously, I was in exactly the same position as last year with my 90th place, and I'll take that too! The full results are here.
Then it was drying off and the pub. Bring on next year then!

It's a nervous laugh, honest:
Out of focus, but it shows the weather best:

Free beer this way you say?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

man, that is WAY impressive given your poorly tootsie.

You're never gonna be a big girl's blouse in my eyes (not unless you want to be)

29 May 2007 at 19:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done! That is indeed admirable
George. You certainly deserved the pub after that :) Hope your recent foot injury isn't rebelling too much though.

5 June 2007 at 11:22  
Blogger George said...

Thanks muchly to you both. The best thing about my pulled muscle was that it completely distracted me from my toe!!

10 June 2007 at 17:28  
Blogger Jolan S. said...

Excellent work, especially in light of coming back from an injury. I have done two drama-filled 5K's so far this year, both shitty times, and will do another one tomorrow for some reason.

I also use beer as a motivator.

27 June 2007 at 12:22  
Blogger George said...

Beer is a good motivator, as are races. My running has really dropped off so I need to sign up for something quick before I lose all I gained!

Good luck with the run!

3 July 2007 at 19:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home