Monday, May 14, 2007

Knoydart and Loch Quoich: Beinn Sgritheall (183)

Walk date: 07/05/07
My Munro #'s: 110

Pronunciations - translations - heights:
Byn Skreehal - hill of screes - 974m

Statistics:
Duration - 10:00 - 14:00
Distance - 8.5km
Weather - OK. Some gusty wind with rain showers but generally fine.
Team - solo
Other hikers: 2

No river problems today thank goodness:





Hiking Expedition '07 - Glen Shiel area - Day 3 (Mon 7th)

After yesterday's leviathan of a day, I was not looking forward to heading out again. Indeed, I delayed rising and packing for as long as possible! Eventually however, I found myself in the car with at least a decent drive to look forward to. I had chosen to do Beinn Sgritheall on this day as it was the simplest and shortest walk I had prepared for the holiday, and I needed a straightforward day in order to start enjoying things again.

Parking up at Arnisdale after a great drive over the Ratagan Pass, I looked up to see cloud obscuring the target, but a good path led towards it heading steeply up green slopes toward Bealach Arnasdail. This route is well signposted through a gate and quickly gets up above the village. The going is steep, but the path is good, and the views soon become impressive.


Over to Knoydart across Loch Hourn:



Better water features around here:



The weather up to the bealach was not the kindest, with strong gusts of wind and rain hitting my back from across Knoydart, making me return to some grim thoughts I'd had of abandoning the week and heading back to Aberdeen!

However, once at the bealach the way on was sheltered, and with further rain holding off, I actually found the increasingly steep route quite pleasant. Forget guidebook talk of this section being full of scree; it is a steep approach and there is loose stone about, but the path underfoot is mainly firm. Take your time and the immediate cairn of the east top is soon reached.


Fine views north from the bealach into Rosdail:


Beinn na h-Eaglaise from the rise to Beinn Sgritheall:



Onward, the back of the mountain opens out and includes some welcomed downhill strolling. The only sharp point is just befor the summit, and although it could be hairy in gale force conditions, it is merely the same good path without quite as much earth to either side.


The sharpest part to the summit is still fine walking:



At the summit, I sat in to the makeshift stone shelter and had some lunch, which reaffirmed the fact conditions were improving! I then started my rapid descent. The day had been exactly what I wanted; much needed encouragement from a route without problems leaving me in a positive mood with regard to the rest of the week.


Table for one sir? The happily bagged cairn & shelter:

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home