Friday, September 22, 2006

Ingleborough and toe update

Walk date: 17/09/06

The route to Ingleborough:


Pen-y-ghent from Horton in Ribblesdale train station:


Sonia gets close to the limestone pavements:


On the upper slopes, complete with Black Sheep T-shirt:


Sonia approaches the trig-point, taking in the views:


Oh my God, could this be an actual hiking post on this hiking blog??? Yes, indeed I just couldn't take the lack of hiking anymore and braved this middle heighted of the Yorkshire 3 peaks (the others being Whernside and Pen-y-ghent).

First, a toe update. After more than two months had passed with no noticeable improvement, I got myself up to the minor accidents unit at ARI here in town. This was prompted by a friend's tale of a tendon injury that she had mistakenly assumed to be a broken toe, thus delaying her recovery. To cover all bases therefore, I wanted to get some clarity on my situation. However, I still had my own misgivings that I was wasting people's time and so I was greatly relieved to talk to the admissions nurse and get told that I was right to come and that there are things that can be done even for toes these days. I thus promptly got into a new queue on my way to X-rays. Unfortunately, the next nurse was a different breed and I got the expected 'you're wasting NHS resources' routine. Despite a few argument strands popping to mind, including the fact that I had waited two months partly to try and avoid such wastage, I just shut up and got my little ticket. When the X-ray came back, it turned out that indeed there had been a break as there was evidence of repairing tissue on the underside. The upshot being that patience was still due and that there would be no hiking for the time being. That being said, in the last couple of weeks, I have noticed some improvement, partly I expect due to some cushioning plasters I've taken to wearing 24/7. And so, seeing as no Munros were on the menu I decided that whilst we were there, we should 'test the water' with the slopes of Ingleborough.

I had us start this hike from Horton in Ribblesdale for the sole reason that we could end it with a pint at The Crown Hotel, which features a chart of winning times for the 3 Peaks Race. This route in however is some 7km long with the slopes being very gentle and indeed featuring many flat sections. First off is the train station, where we were very fortunate in witnessing the passing of steam locomotive on this stretch of the Settle to Carlisle railway.

Following the train station, gentle slopes take you up onto a flat expanse complete with great Yorkshire limestone pavement before starting to climb again around the shoulder of Simon Fell getting ready for the summit push to Ingleborough itself. The weather moved in just before this climb, which took away any hope of a view, but did leave us happy as a backpackless couple ahead of us we had been jealous of, turned around and headed for home! Anyway, we carried on in the mist, having lunch just short of the summit before completing the climb and returning by the same route, soon dipping below the cloud again.

And the pint was gorgeous.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Walking George! We approve. Good luck with the repairing toe.

24 September 2006 at 10:34  
Blogger George said...

Just as I thought it was getting better, I walk over to Sonia's in my regular boots for a mere 30 minutes, and it hurts again. Though still at a lesser level, so things are looking up!

24 September 2006 at 12:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home