Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Southern Cairngorms: The Devil's Point (Bod an Deamhain) (130), Cairn Toul (4) and Angel's Peak (Sgor an Lochain Uaine) (5)

Walk date: 04/06/05
My Munro #'s: 24, 25 and 26

The Devil's Peak, no feeling inadequate now:


Ah, the wonderful views! Coming up to Cairn Toul:


Looking north up Glen Dee at the end of the bagging:


This day was my first outing taking along my aging mountain bike, but I was amazingly grateful for even its rickety frame on this long and wet dreary day. I took it past Derry Lodge into Glen Luibeg, hiding it amongst the last trees at the eastern edge. The cloud was very low, completely obscuring even the lower slopes of The Devil's Point (which incidently is more correctly referred to as The Penis of the Demon, its alter-ego coming about due to John Brown deftly avoiding embarrassment upon being asked for the peak's name by Queen Victoria!). By 900m up the cloud began releasing its rain and didn't stop for the rest of the day. Visibility was down to 20m at best and this contributed to my surprise at how much work was required to reach Cairn Toul from The Devil's Point. I had been interested in Cairn Toul since seeing its impressive slopes from Monadh Mor, and the lack of views on this day only added to the required respect, giving the hill an epic quality. A straightforward drop and climb to Angel's Peak was accompained by an increase in the rain leading to any dry patches left giving up the ghost. On returning to the col I allowed myself a second lunch complete with a welcomed hot drink from my flask before starting the long journey back. Satisfied, but ready for warmth, food, music and beer! Finding my bike on the way back was like being reunited with a long-lost friend!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home