Friday, June 02, 2006

The Southern Cairngorms: Carn a' Mhaim (95), Ben Macdui (2) and Derry Cairngorm (20)

Walk date: 11/06/05
My Munro #'s: 27, 28 and 29

The Devil's Peak from Carn a' Mhaim:


The imposing cliffs of Creagan a' Etchachan:


Overcast day but no rain received. Cycled toward Luibeg from Linn of Dee again, OK climb up to the unimposing top of Carn a' Mhain. This hill slopes down toward the foot of Macdui and its impressive boulder field. Definately a tougher climb up Macdui, but that might be expected seeing as its the second highest of them all! The top is very flat and in cloud care is required on this hill. I made a mistake moving on to Derry Cairngorm; I just kept following path to the foot of Beinn Mheadhoin and then headed ESE toward Hutchison Memorial Hut before I realised my error. I then swept under the imposing cliffs of Creagan a' Etchachan to get onto the side of Derry. A fine descent on heather from Derry Cairngorm over Carn Crom followed on the return to my bike. A good day out a little longer than necessary!


A black day! This great hike was followed by the loss of my GPS, a mere 3 walks into its life! Basically, do NOT trust a Garmin belt clip to hold a GPS when cycling. What happened was that the vibrations from cycling caused the screw into the GPS to unscrew. The belt clip itself was still firmly attached, but at the end of a tiring ride after a tiring day, with horror I noticed the absence of my parental-purchased electronic friend! I then spent the remaining two hours of daylight returning to Luibeg and scanning the path continuously, asking everyone I passed, but to no avail. I was left totally exhausted and totally guilt-ridden, knowing that I had to contact my folks on the matter (as well as my by that time my anxious safety contact!). My parents were ok with it, even ending up getting me a replacement when my shit insurance policy failed to cover it (note: specific outdoor equipment as I now have!). Initially I trusted everyone that I passed, and still feel that really all of the people I saw were telling the truth, but I later found out not all hikers are honest types; I had to endure some old twat in Torridon regailing his club with the story of how he had found such an item and even got Garmin to send him a replacement by claiming it had been his. If I hadn't been so hungry from bagging, then he could well have found out just how a faceful of extra spicy chilli feels!! Git.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home