Sunday, July 02, 2006

Achnashellach and Torridon Hills: Fionn Bheinn (246)

Walk date: 03/05/06
My Munro #'s: 75

ENE over Loch Fannich from Fionn Bheinn:


Slioch to the north-west:


That's a lot of bog! Gaiters at the ready!


Hiking Expedition 2006! 10:00-12:45. In order to keep danger to a minimum and enjoyment to a maximum, given the inclement weather and my swelling feet, I decided to ditch the planned Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh day from this week's hiking and have two short 'recovery days'. Thus, the short hike of Fionn Bhein the only target for this day with the next day only taking in Maol Chean-dearg.

The day started a bit later than usual as I was determined to get the maximum benefit from these two lighter days in what was expected to be bad weather. However, my arising was greeted with sunshine and light winds! Keeping a suspicious eye on the conditions I made my way to Achnasheen.

The initial few steps of the walk were uncomfortable for me due to the road and then flat terrain causing a lot of rubbing around the nexk of my boots. This soon passed however as the route moved beyond the rough (& wet) flat grassland of the farm to the rough (& wet) incline of the heathery slopes alongside Allt Achadh na Sine. Keeping to the right bank of the gorge until the incline flattened out again, progress was rapid enough. As the river swept away to the left I made my way to the right across the annoying classic bog terrain of small bog-cliffs, jumps and many a U-turn.

Starting on the ascent, I ignored the satellite top and made a direct approach, keeping myself childishly entertained by pegging my progress against an elderly hiker far off in the distance. Without much problem the rounded top of Fionn Bheinn was reached and the impressive views made up for its own lack of character. By this time, the weather had turned windy and some rain had appeared, but it was nothing to worry about. A quick return saw me lunching in the car ready to rest my feet over the remainder of the day.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home