Monday, June 19, 2006

The Northern Cairngorms: Mullach Clach a' Bhlair (114) and Sgor Gaoith (36)

Walk date: 18/02/06
My Munro #'s: 63 and 64

Ascending Carn Ban Mor. Just one hiker to beat:


Looking west over Coire Garbhlach:


The impressive Sgor Gaoith with Glen Avon below:


Last of the Cairngorms! This hike started with a nice climb toward Carn Ban Mor, with strong early sunshine and heavy powder snow by 700m. I was soon making fresh footprints after passing to the south of Carn Ban Mor and over a desolate and imposing plain on the way to Mullach Clach a'Bhlair. Going was slow most of the way with nothing to see due to rapidly closing weather. Nothing but white all around at the summit. The return felt much quicker, possibly due to just seeing some other people out there! On my way back to Carn Ban Mor, I re-directed a woman heading south-east instead of west for her descent. She told me she thought she was ok because she was going down. Hmm. As I had made my way to this point, I had developed an odd ankle pain, probably due to all the twisting in the heavy snow. As time was fine, I decided to press on to Sgor Gaoith, which turned out to be a much different and impressive peak. A few merciful breaks in the cloud allowed for some amazing views at this point. Well worth the extra effort. Took the descent easy due to ankle.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home