Monday, June 12, 2006

The Lawers Group: Meall Greigh (136), Meall Garbh (35), An Stuc (34), Ben Lawers (10) and Beinn Ghlas (47)

Walk date: 13/08/05
My Munro #\"s: 44, 45, 46, 47 and 48

(L-R) Ben Lawers, An Stuc and Meall Garbh from Meall Greigh:


Looking up at the ascent of An Stuc:


6 hours. I only managed to start this walk at 12:30 due to a late start, 3 hours of driving and a long search for somewhere to park! Finally settled at the Ben Lawers hotel whose request for hikers to spend some money there after their walks seemed a much better proposal than the antler-carving craft store who just wanted a fiver for their troubles! Anyway, the ascent of Meall Greigh wasn\"t that great as a starter; lots of steep grass with no apparent path. Perhaps I was just eager to have one Munro under the belt though. The rest all came fine, although An Stuc provided some good scrambling that would be a serious undertaking in winter. On Beinn Ghlas I met an ex-army officer who was in training for an Everest ascent! Upon telling him my parents were ex-RAF, he insisted that I had a nip of his whisky with him. When it turned out to be Ardbeg Uigedail I simply couldn\"t refuse. It tasted great at 1103m! My descent required a return to Ben Lawers and then along the eastern ridge and roughly east back to the original path. The progress on this route was surprisingly good seeing as I was making it up as I went along. I duly paid my debt to the hotel by buying a blueberry crumble dessert and a large coffee to give me substenance for the drive home. Highly recommended!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home