Monday, June 12, 2006

The Southern Cairngorms: North Top (Beinn a' Bhuird) (11) and Ben Avon (Leabaidh an Daimh Bhuidhe) (17)

Walk date: 30/07/05
My Munro #'s: 42 and 43

The imposing Ben Avon summit (easy route up round back!):


Damn, no keys! Path work on the lower slopes of Avon:


I took my bike along as had been recommended for the long approach to these hills, but upon unpacking I found myself with a flat tyre. As my guidebook had given 11-15 hours as a potential duration for being purely on foot, I had no spare time for a repair that might fail. Thus, I repacked my bike and took to stomping up the tarmac approach to the large properties on this side of the river. The ascent to North Top is straight forward enough passing by Carn Fiaclach and South Top. Once the initial climb has been managed, the mountain opens out onto a very flat plateau that requires care when the cloud is down like it was this day. I was happy to be cheating with my GPS, if only because time was an issue. The summit of North Top was a small collection of rocks on a desolate plain and wasn't very emotive, well not in the positive spectrum. Ben Avon was a better peak, reached after some steep gravel on the way down from North Top and then some scrambling on the large rock outcrops at the summit itself. I became free of cloud (and rain) only on the way down around 800m. Due to boredom on the long flat walk back, I ended up jogging the last 7km. Back to car after 7 3/4 hours.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home